Name and the Goals of the Study Programme
Title of the study programme: Master Professor in Geography.
Type of the Study and the Outcome of the Education Process
Study cycle: Master Academic Studies.
Professional Title, Academic, or Scientific Title
Professional Title is Master Professor in Geography.
Conditions for enrolment in the study programme:
- completed bachelor academic studies (Bachelor with Honours in Geography Teaching) or other appropriate Bachelor Academic Studies (240 ECTS),
- appropriate place on the ranking list within the approved students’ enrolment quota.
Students who completed bachelor academic studies in some of the unrelated disciplines have to take the exam in the entrance module, which comprises 11 courses: Hydrology, Climatology, Population Geography, Geography of settlements, General Economic Geography, Geography of Serbia, Regional Geography of Europe, Regional Geography of Asia and Africa, Regional Geography of America and Australia.
The Structure of the Study Programme
Structure of the study programme of Master Academic Studies – Master Professor in Geography in duration of one year, comprises 2 compulsory courses and 10 elective courses, out of which students choose 4.
Credit Values of Particular Courses
Study programme’s total ECTS credit score is 60 ECTS; the credit score of elective courses is 24 ECTS credits, while the master graduation thesis weights 25 ECTS credits.
Compulsory courses are:
- Application of didactic principles in Geography teaching and
- Field work 5.
Elective courses, which are a part of other study programmes, are given in the list of elective courses and are available for students’ choice.
Master Academic Studies Master Professor in Geography last for one year and include a total of 630 active teaching hours distributed in two semesters (I semester 330 hours, II semester 300 hours).Prerequisites for the Registration for Particular Courses or Group of Courses.
Transferring from Another Study Programme
Conditions for transfer from other study programmes within the related fields are defined in accordance with the valid study programmes at the Faculty of Sciences in Novi Sad.
ECTS credit score of the graduation thesis on master academic studies is 25 ECTS.
Teaching is conducted through active and interactive methods: active teaching hours, exercises, supervising work, student’s independent work, seminar papers, consultative work.
Purpose of the study programme of Master Professor in Geography is to provide in-depth education to subject teachers of Geography in primary and secondary education and prepare them to work in scientific-education institutions holding professions as stipulated by the law, as well as to work in expert, developmental and supervisory pedagogical services within managing authorities.
Academic education in Geography provided by this study programme enables continuity in developing the knowledge in Geography previously acquired through bachelor academic studies of Geography or other related study programmes. By differentiating the teaching content into narrow geographical disciplines and by integrating them into interdisciplinary fields, flexibility of geographical knowledge is achieved, which brings understanding of the basic theoretical hypothesis of state-of-the-art Geography. Pedagogical-psychological and methodical modules are organized to suit the challenges of modern Geography teaching. Within Master Academic Studies Master Professor in Geography, the methodical module educates students in conducting the modern Geography teaching. Students are introduced to scientific research in the field of Geography teaching and education.
Goal of the study programme of Master Academic Studies Master Professor in Geography is to educate Geography subject teachers who are able to stand up to challenges of modern Geography teaching. This includes education in Geography, which is in line with most up-to-date scientific achievements in modern Geography and suitable knowledge of cognitive sciences and training. This study programme enables creating and developing the necessary teaching competencies of future Geography teachers. Broad and contemporary academic, theoretical-methodical and scientific education in the field of geographical disciplines provides the necessary professional competencies, while up-to-date methodical and pedagogical-psychological modules enable development of pedagogical, didactical and methodical competences. The concept of the study programme is tailor made to encourage graduate students to permanent and further professional development.
General and course-specific competencies of students
By completing this study programme, students acquire the following general competencies:
- analysis, synthesis and forecasting the consequences,
- critical thinking,
– solving concrete problems by applying scientific models and procedures and
- communication and interaction with pupils, parents, colleagues, management and school expert services, as well as with the local community.
This study programme provides education of professionals with all the specific competences needed for modern Geography teaching and geospatial research.
Professionals have the following competencies:
- to apply and develop professional knowledge and values: expert (within narrow geographical disciplines), pedagogical-psychological and methodical-didactical,
- to plan and self evaluate own professional development and advancement,
- to plan, programme and manage the Geography teaching process in primary and general and vocational secondary education,
- to create learning situations and favourable Geography learning environment,
- to master the processes, methods, procedures and research techniques in Geography education.
Experts who complete this study programme are competent to:
- work as Geography subject teachers in primary, general and vocational secondary education,
- work on professional development and education in all forms of non-formal Geography education,
- work in education-scientific institutions holding professional titles as stipulated by the law, and
- work in professional, developmental, supervisory pedagogical services and government authorities.
The curriculum contains courses distribution according to semesters, active teaching load and ECTS credits.
ECTS credits per study year = 60
ECTS credits upon completion of studies = 60
Active teaching hours per study year = 42
Hours of teaching per study year = 11-16
Share of elective courses on graduate master academic studies is 40%.
A Distribution of the Courses into Semesters and Academic Years
Elective courses in the Study Program