Non-EU Citizens:

Please consult the nearest Serbian embassy or Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website for information whether you need a visa. In case you need a visa the University of Novi Sad will send you an invitation letter (one of the documents needed to apply for the visa). Please keep in mind that the visa application process can take a month or more and that it is the student’s obligation to obtain this document on time.

EU Citizens:

For travel and stay of up to 90 days, no visa or residence permit is required.

For any kind of stay in Serbia longer than 90 days, a foreign citizen has to have a visa.


Regardless of whether you need a visa for entrance, you must register your stay in Serbia with the Ministry of Interior within 24 hrs of arrival. Hotels and hostels will do this automatically, however if you stay at private accommodation, you shall register your stay at the police station on the following address:


Office hours of the office in charge of residence registration of foreigners is Monday to Friday from 7.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. (office No. 14, 3rd floor).

Upon registration, you will receive the so called White card – this is proof that you are in the country legally and you should carry it with you at all times.

If your stay in Serbia is shorter than 90 days, obtaining the White Card will be all you need to do. If you are staying longer than that, then you must apply for a Temporary Residence Permit.

For detailed explanation of these processes, how to obtain the White Card or the Temporary Residence Permit, please read the document UNS Regulation of Stay.