Name and the Goals of the Study Programme
Title of the study programme is PhD in Geosciences – Tourism.
Type of the Study and the Outcome of the Education Process
Study cycle: PhD academic studies.
Professional Title, Academic, or Scientific Title
Professional title is PhD in Geosciences – Tourism.
Conditions for enrolment in the study programme:
- completed bachelor and master academic studies in duration of five years;
- appropriate place on the ranking list within the approved enrolment quota for students
Candidates can enrol in the first year of PhD academic studies if they fulfil the following conditions:
- to have taken part in two national or one international conference prior to enrolling in the first year of PhD academic studies, which is proved by submitting a published paper or an abstract, and he or she has to be the first author of at least one paper or presentation on a scientific conference;
- to have been the first author or-co-author of one M51 category scientific paper or 2 papers of М52 or M53 categories, which is proved by submitting a published paper(s) or a confirmation that the paginated paper had been accepted, or by submitting the DOI number of the paper accepted.
The Structure of the Study Programme
Structure of the PhD in Geosciences – Tourism study programme in duration of three years comprises 1 compulsory and 7 elective courses.
Total ECTS credit score for all three years of studies is 180 ECTS credits, where the elective courses credit score is 77 ECTS credits.
Elective courses belonging to other study programmes are given in elective courses list and available for the candidates’ choice.
The Time Allotted for the Realization of Particular Study Forms
The time for the Study Programme is three years.
Credit Values of Particular Courses
Credit score of the study programme is 180 ECTS (30 ECTS in the first semester, 30 ECTS in the second semester, 30 ECTS in the third semester, 30 ECTS in the fourth semester, 30 ECTS in the fifth semester, and 30 ECTS in the sixth semester).
PhD dissertation is awarded with 44 ECTS credits.
Transferring from Another Study Programme
Conditions for transfer from other study programmes within the related fields are defined in accordance with the valid study programmes at the Faculty of Sciences in Novi Sad.
Purpose of the PhD in Geosciences – Tourism study programme is:
Providing knowledge in the field of development of a tourism destination and tourism company based on integrated approach i.e. the one based on competitive advantages of a destination (in the first place, natural and anthropogenic resources of a destination and strategic partnerships among the most important stakeholders) and up-to-date approaches in hotel management comprising the modern leadership practice, motivation and catering orientations of the employees.
Goal of the study programme of PhD in Geosciences – Tourism is to educate scientific and highly competent professionals in the field of Tourism, who possess skills for working in higher education institutions, scientific institutions and advance positions in economy. Acquired multidisciplinary knowledge during PhD academic studies provides students with high competencies in performing theoretical and practical work in all the selective forms of tourism, in managing the development of destination and hotels and the level of knowledge which enables them to understand contemporary trends in tourism development.
General and course-specific competencies of students
The study programme provides students with the following general competencies:
- ability to manage, run and coordinate activities among many stakeholders related to a destination,
- ability to create new working methods and management models,
- ability of creative thinking, making decisions crucial to development of destination tourism.
This study programme educates professionals equipped with all of the specific competences needed for doing modern business and research in these scientific fields.
These professionals will obtain the following course-specific competencies:
- building a complex model of destination competitiveness;
- establishing parameters (economic, socio-cultural end ecological) of sustainable tourism development of a destination;
- ability to apply up-to-date information technologies in management and marketing;
- ability to apply up-to-date mathematical-statistical methods in tourism research;
- ability to choose the best management style in running a hotel company;
- establishing parameters important for catering services orientation of employees.
Studies last for 3 years (6 semesters) and candidates must collect 180 ECTS credits in total. One study year has two semesters.
Studies are comprised of 1 compulsory and 7 elective courses, each carrying 11 ECTS credits (total of 88 ECTS). Candidates choose courses under the supervision of the Advisor (approved by the Department Council for each candidate individually) and Mentor. Work on the PhD dissertation, which represents study and research work, comprises mandatory publication of a paper in relevant scientific journals.
A Distribution of the Courses into Semesters and Academic Years
Elective courses in the Study Program